Saturday, September 22, 2012

DIY: Fall Canvas Art

In honor of the beginning and ushering in of the wonderful autumn / fall colors that we just LOVE, here is a second tutorial to help you decorate your home brought to you by My Blessed Life's blog.  Be sure to check her out for more DIY - her blog is excellent!

Photobucket
Beautimous!
Materials Needed:
  • Canvas – I buy mine at Hobby Lobby 2 for $8!
  • An old book that you don’t care about – I used a 0.25 yard sale book.
  • Scraps of scrapbook paper
  • ModPodge
  • Foam brush
  • Scissors
  • Letter template – I have a set of cardboard letters from Hobby Lobby that I used for Ridley’s homemade birthday banner.  I just trace around the letters so they are wonderfully reusable!
Photobucket
Carefully tear out the book pages. {Librarians, you might want to look the other way!} Arrange pages and scrapbook paper pieces as desired.  Then begin “gluing” in one area on the canvas. Brush ModPodge both under and over each piece of paper until the entire canvas is covered and glued.
Note: To give your canvas even more interest, you can place some book pages horizontal.  I have all mine going vertically, but if I had to do it over again, I would mix it up. :)
Photobucket
1. The book pages will be uneven at the edge of the canvas.
2. Even up the edges with scissors, but be sure to leave enough of the pages to turn under!
3. Finish up the corners with a nice fold.
Brush ModPodge all over the edges and corners to make sure they are well secured.
Photobucket
Your canvas might look a bit wrinkled, but try not to go into cardiac arrest.  I promise that it will be okay when it dries.
I added the letters f.a.l.l. to my canvas, but you could do autumn, harvest, fall-ing, simple etc.  The possibilities are endless!  I’m planning on creating other seasonal canvases too! How fun is that!?!
Photobucket
Still in the wrinkly drying process…but quite loverly!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment