Sunday, September 9, 2012

DIY: Dollar Store Party Hat Makeovers

So, in keeping with our theme from yesterday - we are showcasing this tutorial that is brought to you by "From Marriage to Motherhood."  These party hats are so cute and really can be made into just about any theme for any party.  We can see so many uses for these it's overwhelming really...


And turned them into these....






Super easy to do.


IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THEM, HERE ARE THE STEPS:

Find and purchase some pretty scrapbook paper patterns. I purchased mine at Hobby Lobby....



...for $ .59 cents per sheet {for the large sheets}.



Take a part ONE of your party hats. Choose the paper that you'd like to cover up the hat with. Have a pair of scissors and a pen {or pencil} handy....



Turn your scrapbook paper over and lay your hat flat down on it....



Using your pen or pencil, trace the hat {I did not include the tab in my tracing}...




Cut out the outline and then you will have this....


I use this first cut out as my template and place three sheets of paper behind it at a time and cut out more "party hat coverings" until I have all that I need. I save this first cut out to cover up my last hat.

Roll the paper cut out around the hat to create its new pretty covering....



I use clear tape secure the pretty paper to the party hat {you can also use double sided tape or craft glue}....

Back of the hat



If you want to fancy up your party hats even more like I did, you can purchase a pack of pom-pom's. I got mine at Hobby Lobby {just $ .99 cents for a pack of 24 in pink, 1" - or a pack of 36, 3/4"}. I bought two different sizes because I didn't know which size would look best on the hats. I preferred the larger ones so I used pink and love how they turned out!



Using a hot glue gun, place a dot of hot glue in the middle of a pom-pom and use your fingers to hold it down on top of the hat for about 5-10 seconds.



A super simple project that took these Dollar Store Hats....


And turned them into pretty little pieces that will be adorned on pretty little heads!

No comments:

Post a Comment