Tuesday, September 18, 2012

DIY: Autumn Gold Thumbtack Wreath

Madigan Made has gone above and beyond with this amazing wreath.  The materials are so inexpensive and we NEVER would have thought to do this with these things.  Love it, and can't wait to make it.  Period.  


"You made a wreath out of... thumbtacks???"

Yes, I made a wreath out of gold thumbtacks! :) 
I wanted to make a new wreath this season and gold seemed like the perfect color for a fall wreath. I think it looks great with a copper ribbon, too.

There is something about the warmth of gold and copper together that reminds me of fall.


Don't get me wrong, I love my brushed nickel and stainless steel. But I'm slowly warming up to the use of gold and brass in my home.  (pun intended!) Gold can scream terrible and tacky 1980's decor... but used thoughtfully, I think it can add a layer of coziness and brightness to a space.

To me, mixing gold and copper is a natural autumnal combination. Using a copper ribbon with my new gold tack wreath seemed perfect for this upcoming season.

Are you asking: "What on earth made you think about using thumbtacks on a wreath?"

Well, after I made my thumbtack covered globe, I knew I could cover other things with tacks for a unique texture.  I figured, why not try it on a foam wreath?

The steps to making this wreath were simple.

I used a small six-inch wreath form and several boxes of brass tacks (Tip: the dollar store sells boxes of 300). I started with a circle of tacks around one section and just kept poking the tacks in and layering them on top of each other.


I worked my way around the wreath layering the tacks. The ribbon covers the area where the two ends meet up, because it was hard to make that transition look seamless.

This wreath took a loooong time to finish (a perfect tedious job to do in front of the TV) and it used at least 2-3 boxes of 300 tacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment