Saturday, August 25, 2012

DIY: Party Animal Necklace

These are whimsical, creative, and we adore Flamingo Toes blog for putting them together!  What do you think?  Do you love them like we do??  We must find an occasion to wear one of these bad boys...

Here is what you’ll need:
• Animals (I got these at Michael’s – and I think they are the same animals they used. They were in a tube – take your 40% off coupon)
• Beads, chain, ribbon, fabric, rhinestones, wire, etc for embellishment
• 22″ chain and closure findings for necklace
• bails (to make the animals into pendants)
• Glue (I used E-6000)
We’re going to start with the elephant so you can see what I did, then I’ll show you closeups of all of them.
The beauty of these though is that you can dress them up any way you want!
Start by gluing a rhinestone spacer to the top of the elephant’s head.
Add a colorful bead on top of that.
I think he likes his hat. :)
Cut a piece of ribbon for his blanket.
(I got this gorgeous jacquard ribbon from my lovely sponsor, The Ribbon Retreat. I have a nifty project planned with it but this little scrap made a perfect blanket piece.)
Glue to the back of the elephant.
Trim the blanket with a small piece of chain.
Add a strip of rhinestones between the blanket and the tail.
Wrap a bit of wire around each foot.
Glue a bail to the elephant’s back, towards the top.
Let everything dry thoroughly before you add your chain.
Cut a piece of chain the length you want your necklace to be (I cut mine 22″).
Feed the chain through the bail.
Add the closure pieces to the ends of the chain. I used a lobster clasp on one side and a jump ring on the other.
Now you have a super cute Party Animal Necklace!!
Here are some shots of the others so you can see how they’re dressed up.
Our zebra has a crown (lucky him!) and a fabric blanket.
Our giraffe likes rhinestones and sequins. Snazzzzy.
Our tiger is wearing a pompom collar (all the cool tigers do) and some chain around his middle. He has a flat bail, which was easy to cover with the chain.
Here’s a pic before I wrapped it.
Aren’t they fun??

No comments:

Post a Comment